Sunday, September 7, 2014

Grief by any other name

Day 7

I weighed myself today. I’ve lost 4.5 pounds since last Monday. That’s just crazy! A healthy rate of weight loss is 1-2 pounds/week, but sometimes when I start a new program or I’ve been eating especially badly, the first couple of weeks the weight just melts away.

Weight loss is sort of a weird thing. Where did the weight go? A week ago there were 4.5 additional pounds of me.

In a way it’s a little symbolic. There are lots of traditions and cultural beliefs associated with grief. One that’s always interested me is the Native American practice of cutting their hair during significant mourning. The idea is the hair is a container for part of a person’s spirit, and cutting the length showed that the spirit was reduced and desolated by their loss. Then as the hair grows long again over time, it signifies the restoration of the person’s spirit.

Losing weight, directly associated with a symbol of grief, is liberating. I’m sending away those pounds and not turning back. When I’m at a healthy weight, my spirit will be that much closer to being restored.

I love TED talks and I love this woman's words. Check it out, if you've got the time...

http://www.ted.com/talks/suheir_hammad_poems_of_war_peace_women_power

Today:

I ate every 2-3 hours and drank as much water as I could manage.

Advocare products:
  • ·         Catalyst
  • ·         Spark
  • ·         Restore Packet (Probiotics)
  • ·         Meal replacement shake
  • ·         Herbal Cleanse Supplement Packet
  • ·         Omegaplex

Food:

  • ·         Breakfast:
    • o   Meal replacement shake
  • ·         Morning Snack:
    • o   Banana
  • ·         Lunch:
    • o   Garbanzo Plate (Chicken, hummus, lettuce, veggie salad, cilantro sauce)
  • ·         Afternoon Snack:
    • o   Hardboiled egg
    • o   Green apple
  • ·         Dinner:
  • `Bronco Party Goodness:
      • 5 oz Shrimp cocktail 
      • Fresh cut snack veggies
GO Broncos!!!

Garbanzos, mmm....
 


Exercise: Bike ride to Margaret’s Pond with Arielle


If you are interested in doing your own 24 Day Challenge you can order it from the Advocare Website at: https://www.advocare.com/120531603/default.aspx, or of course I am available to answer any questions you have or point you to the right resource.








No comments:

Post a Comment